Monday, February 24, 2014

Cute DIY Blackhawks Tutu

So I decided that I wanted to make a birthday gift for my niece (think tutu) that her daddy would love too.  So naturally I thought SPORTS!!!  After much searching on Pinterest, I was inspired by this darling fabric tutu. Well, I wasn't crazy about a golf themed tutu (her daddy's favorite sport) so I decided to go with a Chicago Blackhawks theme.  I picked matching fabrics at the craft store and some coordinating tulle, as you cannot have a tutu without tulle.


In the tutorial it suggested 3" wide strips of fabric, however I thought that may be too wide for a 1 year old, so I decided to go with 2" wide.  Each strip was 20" long to create a finished tutu of 8" in length (I accommodated for the looped fabric).  I also cut a piece of elastic band to 18.5" long.  The large black and white polka dot fabric was left over from another project so I had only 8 strips of this and 10 each for the other two fabrics,  I doubled up on the tulle with two pieces together so I had a total of 10 each of those as well.


The only sewing that I did for this project was to sew the elastic ends together, just a few back and forth passes and voila a waistband.


I then began looping my fabric around the waistband, I found this method easier to ensure both halves of my fabric were the same length.  I folded the fabric in half and then looped the fabric through and tightened into a loose knot.  Be careful not to knot it too tight or it will change the size of the waistband (I had to go back and loosen my knots).


Continue looping fabric in any pattern you desire and in the end you should have a fabulous little tutu.


To make this a Blawkhawks outfit I choose to add little black leggings and a white t-shirt.  I found some cute little iron-on letters at the craft store and put Go Hawks on the front and her name and age on the back. 
 Then I made a little matching hairband with this tutorial.  I have to say I was quite pleased with the final product. 


 Hope you enjoyed and if you should have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.  
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment